Alice Springs venues face new midweek alcohol restrictions
The Northern Territory Liquor Commission has introduced sweeping new restrictions on full-strength alcohol service across Alice Springs, with more than 20 licensed venues now required to limit liquor sales to mealtimes during Wednesday to Friday lunches, effective immediately.
Under the new conditions, full-strength alcohol may only be served between 11:30am and 3pm on those three days, and must be accompanied by a full meal.
The commission described the move as part of its broader strategy to address alcohol-related harm across central Australia.
The ruling has drawn sharp criticism from the region's hospitality industry. Cathy Simmonds, CEO of industry body Hospitality NT, called the scope of the decision extraordinary.
"We are very disappointed by the decision to continue down this path, but we are not particularly surprised given the conduct of the liquor commission in its present form," Simmonds told the ABC.
"It is one thing to vary the conditions for one licence. It is really unprecedented for the commission to add conditions for 20 in one go without it being a disciplinary act."
Simmonds also flagged significant operational challenges, particularly for frontline teams navigating the day-to-day variability of the new rules.
"Staff are doing their best, but we will have to do a massive training program for staff at venues," she said. "The inconsistency of the rules day to day means more staff training."
Law enforcement took a more measured stance, with NT Police Southern Commander James Gray-Spence indicating the restrictions were grounded in incident data showing a clear mid-week pattern.
"Our submission explored different risk controls to reduce alcohol-related harm in Alice Springs," Commander Gray-Spence told the ABC. "This decision is data-driven. Other businesses had observed an increase in incidents between Wednesday and Friday, and our observations confirm that trend."
That interpretation was disputed by Simmonds, who pointed to broader trends in alcohol consumption and crime. "Alcohol sales have been going down every year since 2018, since reforms were put in place, and crime had not improved until the last 12 months, where the figures are showing real reductions," she said. "Most tourists and most Territorians drink responsibly."
Commission chair Russell Goldflam previously outlined the statistical basis for targeting those particular days. "We have had a close look at the police statistics and the statistics of the security operators employed by the Yeperenye Centre, and there is a very substantial spike in trouble on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays," Goldflam said in a November interview with the ABC.
Alongside the lunchtime restrictions, the commission has recommended that Todd Tavern, The Rock Bar, Bojangles, and Uncles Tavern introduce on-site identification systems to prevent patrons subject to banning orders from being served. That measure is contingent on the Territory government updating legislation around the sharing of drinking-related information.
The latest ruling builds on existing interventions, including takeaway alcohol-free Mondays introduced in January 2023. Affected licensees have 20 days to lodge an appeal. For venues, the immediate priority will be staff training and compliance monitoring, while patrons can expect changes to the midweek dining and drinks experience across the town.
Jonathan Jackson, 19th February 2026
